Thursday, March 13, 2008

thinkin about thinkin about cutting my hair

so if you knew me and were trying to describe me to someone, the first thing you'd probably say is "The girl with the long locks".

For the past seven years i've been growing my hair and its really long, down to my waist, heavy and is becomming a burdon. Everybody loves them and looks at me with confused expressions if I even mention cutting them. Not that I care, but maybe deep down inside of me there is a vain part that does care. I'm not even sure if that would be considered vanity, but I went thru the same thing when I went from relaxed hair to natural hair. It, my then long jet black roller wrap was a part of my identity, people recognized and identified me by it, so I struggled for a long time with the courage to just cut it off and start over and embrace my natural hair. But now...things should be different right? I mean I'm already natural and have been so since 2001. So why am I so torn and cautious about letting these locs go. Sometimes I think we as black women equate length with good, just like we equate hair texture with good (ie. "good hair") Lord help me if I'm still dealing with hair complex after all these years!!! or maybe its the memories that come along with them because I can identify exactly what was going on in my life by looking at various lengths and stages in my locking journey. So now i'm telling myself that cutting my hair will not be cutting the memories! Maybe its not even that deep. I'm just sayin....

2 comments:

Relevantlystaying said...

I didnt know you were doing a BLOG! Keep writing!

You are good at it, and it will free you!

LOVE YOU GIRL

SAFARI-BLACK said...

I have spoke to so many people about this topic, i cut mine in 1996 and i can remember exactly what you are talking about . People knowing you by one attribute. Woman said "black i am so mad at you " it opened up the reality of why people sometimes surround you or what they see in you or on you in this occasion. Funny thing is after i cut them i thought i was just gonna blend in , Not !! see something deeper brings you to even embracing natural 9 etheric hair expression. Its something that radiates from your soul outward , like sun breaking thru a cloud after a storm. For me it was a new birth just as the day i decided to lock up and if you do your homework nazzarines cut them in ceremonial sacrafice symbolizing the sacrafice of being righteousness ..if you do or have cut them you will see what i mean you will stand out more than when you was waiste length locked up....evolve-revolution is all it is to even think about it...